Thursday, August 06, 2015

THE LAMPPOST LIGHT, A POEM OF FINDING OASIS


* * *

The Lamppost Light,
A Poem of Finding Oasis


Night
Clouds drift slowly past
The scatter of stars above
Memories of a
Sun that shone long ago.
I seek a harbor not of water
In this desert not of sand,
But darkness is the desolation
And shelter would be light.
Only a sole lamp pole stewards the path,
A silent iron sentry
Casting its fragment of light
Into my thick night
Painting the garden in grays
Where
Shards of shadows cut the edges
Creating boundaries
To darkness.
I pause beneath the lamp's tiny flame
For a moment, to
Find comfort and renewal
In its small circle of light.
I linger in this tiny retreat,
With love for the sweetness of refuge
But
Its comfort must not become common-
One must not make oasis their home,
Lest they never arrive at
Dawn.
So I return to my starlit path.

(c) A.E. Dozat 8/6/15