Wednesday, February 04, 2015

STEPS IN THE DARK, A POEM ABOUT FINDING THE WAY

Steps In The Dark, A Poem About Finding The Way


It should be day and
There should be blue
Above the dark wood.
I seek stones to step on
In the shadows
To cross the torrent
Of angry foam;
Its water mumbles
In voices of gloom
To ask,
Where God has gone to?
The darkness counsels to
Find comfort in defeat
Under the dark oaks
Whose roots tangle the path
And at grasp at my feet.
But I await another voice
Beyond the dark.
I listen
And follow the dove's song
To that place
That I've yet to be-
Where the light
Pierces the shadows
Like pillars to the sun.


(c) A.E. Dozat 2/4/15

A few thoughts about my poem.
I am revisiting this writing today after a few years.  I find it is nice to come back and look at my work after a while because I see it fresh as a stranger might.

My first thought is that I hope you enjoyed reading it. 

If you were to ask me, "So, Poet, what is this about? I would say it is a poem of hope and faith in finding God.  We can ask, "Where is He?" and "Is He there at all?"  I say God is near. God is not hiding but we are looking for him with physical eyes when He seeks to be found by those who seek Him with their hearts. "And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:13). 

The setting, Darkness,

There is a verse in the Bible's book of poems, psalms, (Psalm 18:11) that says God wraps himself in darkness. Well, it is ancient worship poetry and you can have some different interpretations of it, but I think the darkness in that, and other Bible verses, is the darkness we experience and bring with us in our search for God. We can only see the darkness.  So in my poem, I am writing about finding my way out of darkness and finding God.

"The dove's song."

Doves are symbols of peace. Here I was reaching for the soft gentle cooing of the dove. I was thinking of the Prophet Elijah who heard the voice of the lord not in the fire or the storm or earthquake but in the "still small voice." (1 Kings 19:11-13). The dove song is my way of saying that God is calling us. (John 6:44, is one of the many verses that show God is calling us,   Matthew 22:14 is another ).

"The place I've yet to be."

This may be Heaven, but it is more. Heaven is not for everyone. In some religions, you have to be worthy of heaven by living a good life or performing sacraments or holy observances. If that is your tradition then I am sure you will appreciate my poem. Jesus did say, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." (Matthew 5:48). Perfection is beyond any of us. To be worthy of Heaven would have to be a gift of the one who has the power create Heaven. I believe that gift comes from God to those who seek it in humility. "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—  not by works, so that no one can boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9).

The last thought,

We are all on a pilgrimage and this poem speaks about my place on the path to God. I feel that I have come to God through my faith in Jesus His Son. I hope you continue to seek God, His meaning for you, and His purpose for you. 

We have met briefly through the proxy of the electronic medium but I hope for the day when we can face to tell each other about our journeys.

Blessings
A. E. Dozat